Monday, March 15, 2010

Have you ever stopped to think why people from Asian countries seem to be able to work longer hours than we do? Well it has become very apparent to me.

I am currently in the Philippines and coming in to work you see all these little children going off to school at 7am in the morning. The same was in India when I was there 3 years ago. Their school day starts at 7-7.30 am and finishes at 5pm!! In New Zealand, and other countries as well, our school day starts at 9am and finishes around 3pm. We are not conditioned to work long hours.

I have long wondered at the capacity for people from other countries to work long hours and seemingly not get tired. If we had had from the age of 5, had a school day that was 9 hours long minimum, our bodies too would be conditioned to withstand such long days.

On top of this, their class size is around 50 student yet we grumble if we have 30 students claiming it is not conducive to good learning. Who is right? I dont know but what I do know is that they value and prize education as a way forward.

Worth pondering on isnt it?

Are we brought up to be too soft? I dont know, but they certainly seem to cope better with longer hours than we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment