Monday, July 26, 2010

Trial by Media - again

It is sad that yet again the media want to have a "go" at rest homes. While residential care will never be perfect for many families I know that in most cases you all do a wonderful job.

This recent front page headline proves to me how important it is to have staff well trained. While the facility admits there were some errors in documentation it appears the gentleman was well cared for.

What you will never be able to predict or account for is family guilt and a society that wants to apportion blame. The reality is that older people are more at risk of falling and dare I say it - dying.

As a carer you can only rely on the information a resident gives you. If they say they are not in pain or are fine there is little you can do. Indeed you should empower the person to make their own decision. However you will always come up against people who think a residential facility can wave a magic wand and do the impossible - like stopping a person from dying.

All I can say is the importance of training yet rears it head again. When I am teaching observing, recording and reporting I instill in the Caregivers that this is all about ensuring they write everything down and they cover their butt.

However you will never be able to do the impossible. Sometimes it is just time for a person to die. Can they at the very least do this with some dignity without being plastered across the media. I know at the very least, that is what I would want for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment