Sunday, August 8, 2010

Migrant workforce

Apparently 50% of the doctors looking after us in New Zealand are migrants. I would say it is as high if not higher across the whole health care industry.

My concern is not that they are migrants but how much training do they receive to understand the Kiwi Culture. I am sure they do Treaty Workshops but does that really equip them to look after the emotional needs of New Zealanders?

I have absolutely no doubt as to their technical/clinical skills. I do have concern about communication skills. People who are unwell often feel powerless. They do not have the knowledge or the energy to request information. Combine that with values & beliefs differentation you get people's needs not being met. This is where the focus now needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment