Monday, May 30, 2011

The Vitamin D debate

It seems we are caught between a rock and a hard place here. We are told to slip, slop, slap in the summer to prevent skin damage from sun yet we need the Vitamin D for healthy and strong bones!

What do we do?

For sometime I have been aware of this and have not used sunblock unless I am going to be out in the sun for extended periods. I never use and SPF factor in my moisturisers either. You see I already have osteoprosis and am on Vitamin D so why would I compromise my health even further?

Most of my day, like many others, is spent inside working. Why would I want an SPF factor in my moisturiser to protect me from the suns rays that I don't get? It doesn't make any sense to me.

While I may have sparked a debate on this, I hope a healthy one, just don't get caught up in all the hyp of generalised research that may not affect you. Research is now linking Seasonal Affective Disorder and other conditions like internal cancers, heart disease, immunity, diabetes, strokes to lack of Vitamin D.

Question? The more we find out, the more we complicate our lives and health.

Now I am not against research. It think it is very valuable and a great way for us humans to understand our bodies and how they work. But lets get a bit of balance here and some common sense.

If our major source of vitamin D comes from the sun, why do we spend so much money on blocking it out when we are not in the sun?

While there are small amounts of vitamin D in some foods like oily fish (especially fish liver oils), salmon, sardines, mackerel, tuna, egg yolks, butter, some cheeses and oysters we cant possiblby eat enough of these to give us our required daily dose of Vitamin D.

So choose for yourself what you want to do.

For me I will continue to do what I am doing and get the maximum amount of Vitamin D from the sun whenever I can.

What about you? What about your residents who never go out in the sun? Think how you can help them naturally as well as through diet and supplements.

No comments:

Post a Comment