Monday, October 11, 2010

Are we too PC for our own good?

As I mentioned yesterday, have we lost the ability to laugh at ourselves?

While I don't support riducule or put downs of anyone, because I dont like to be the recipient of them comments and jokes about other cultures have gone on for years.

The Irish have been the but of jokes being purported as stupid (which they are not) the Scots as being miserly (and they are not) to name a few. Yet I don't see these people getting up in arms about it. They just laugh at it along with everyone else.

This whole issue with Paul Henry has got totally out of hand and I personally think laughing at someones name or questioning where a person was born will continue to be asked. Sacking Police because a joke was sent on email with a comment to is a bit over the top. How many of us have been guilty of making a flippent remark?

The issue here really is the forum these comments, remarks or jokes are made in. Everyone is so careful to save face.

Perhaps Paul Henry just says what others are thinking but too afraid to speak out? I don't know but it has all got totally out of hand in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment