Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cultural Sensitivity goes both ways

I know I am on a bit of a tangent here but it is time us Pakeha New Zealanders stood up for ourselves.

It may have sounded in my last blog that I am against other ethnicities coming to New Zealand. I am not. I feel they add a real richness to the diversity of our country.

What I am concerned about is that as a Pakeha New Zealander we are expected to accomodate everyone else with little regard to ourselves. We have needs and desires that are culturally appropriate for us too and I don't feel these are being met.

Frequently us Kiwi's have care dished out to us in the form of what others think we need. We are suppose to promoting Person Centre Care but it frequently does not happen. We are not understood by those who look after us.

Now I am not saying other ethnicities are not caring - they are but are they giving the care that the person needs to their cultural identity or is it the caregivers cultural identity.

If anyone if offended by what I am saying I am not apolgising. What I want is for those people careing for the elderly, disabled and infirm are giving the care that is appropriate to the clients needs, culture and indeed they want.

If you are having a reaction to this - great? I commend you. You are on the road to recognizing the needs and desires of a Pakeha New Zealander.

No comments:

Post a Comment