Sunday, February 27, 2011

I feel for everyone in Christchurch

I just feel so helpless as I am sure everyone else ist feeling.

Just to think of all those who have nowhere to live now and all of those people living in Rest Homes, Continuing Care Facilities and Retirement villages who have had to leave their homes.

Residential Care people develop a very narrow spectrum on the world. It is only themself. The rest of the world, apart from their family is has little importance to them.

For those who were transported in the middle of night to another city it must have been extremely traumatic but what was the option? None really.
Being shifted to a new location is bad enough but to have to get used to new caregivers, strangers all over again must be devastating.

While I can write about the trauma for these people, I do feel so helpless. What can I do apart from send some money. It feels such a little thing but I know that in the end it will be well received.

I am also amazed at the generosity of people. On Saturday I was involved in a Rotary fund rasing event for the earthquake and our local hospice. We do this every year and usually people just give coins. This year however the generosity was incredible. $5, $10, $20 and even $50 notes were given this time.

This is what heartens my spirit. The selflessness of those who realise just how well off we actually are.

No comments:

Post a Comment